– You stink and you don’t notice, – I hear Coco smiling through the phone.
– What do you mean?
– For starters – quit smoking.
I do not understand what she means. Nevertheless, I want to be Coco, so I listen.
– You will never lose weight if you keep smoking. Smoking enslaves you, hardens your shell, and makes you blind to the beauty of the world.
– What do you mean hardens my shell? I am not a shellfish you know. Do you know how much stress I have?
– You are stressed because you are smoking.
– How is that?
– Well, your mind creates stressful situations and perceives world as stressful to prompt you taking a cigarette, or two, or a pack. You just woke up right?
– Have you smoked already?
– How do you feel?
– Great. Weather is good and I am off to work.
– Well, do something for me. Sit down on your balcony and take a deep breath. Do you feel fresh air filling up your lungs?
– Yes, I do.
– Ok. Now close your eyes and feel your heart and solar plexus. How are they today?
– They are fine, Coco. What is it all about?
– Cool. How about your head, your eyes? How do they feel?
– Great. They feel great.
– Do you feel tired in any way?
– I just woke up, Coco, I am not tired. – I laugh.
– Fine. Have a smoke. Better two. Then call me back. Bye.
“Coco is weird.” – Runs through my head while I light up a cigarette. “Good start of the morning. You stink and you don’t notice. What is she thinking? What does she mean? I will never lose weight while smoking? Everybody smokes, well not everybody but lots of folks. I will gain at least 12 pounds if I stop, that’s for sure! I need to have some freedom of choice, right? It is already enough that I am working so hard! I will never lose weight. I am fat. Oh, what a drag. What a drag! What is she thinking calling me so early to f@ck up my morning!”
I am not the brightest but suddenly I know it. With each and every drag I get grumpier, the lightness is gone. I am in my stand-by mode – stressed, with a nagging feeling in my heart. I want back to bed, to take some quality time in pitying myself – hard working overweight woman who will never … Oh Dear God! Get up! Coco is right! You want to be her – quit smoking!
3 Replies to “Chapter 6: You stink and you don’t notice”